major project 2 (plans plans plans)

"Kandinsky" Collaboration with Deepart (J.Hewitt 2018)
Best way to get started on something is just to start. so I sat down with the DeepArt IO and doodled exhaustively, using a combination of the basic silhouettes devised with C. Peacey and some vintage pattern blocks to reference the "rules" and history of cutting.

I feel there are varying levels of "success" in these. They may or maynot fulfil prerequisites for computational creativity. I think they are certainly aesthetically pleasing rather than simply novel, but how far the algorithm itself is part of the aesthetic evaluation process I need to investigate further. Many are absolutely stunning images, and were I a fine artist who had painted them or had I written the Deepart Program myself  they would easily be worthy of submission as my finished pieces. However, I am a pattern cutter and I didn't write the program, it is simply a design starting point for my 3D pattern creation exercise.

Therefore I am looking for an image that has the potential to be realised in three dimensions, and possibly also a way to examine an algorithm or rule whilst doing so. The "experiments" completed already in designing iteratively like a neural network, using students as my machine learning process could possibly be repeated. But it would be more exciting to find a new algorithm or way or workimg to investigate.











These later images resulted from colouring in the shapes left by the overlaying of multiple patterns from a victorian womens sewing magazine "Mode Illustrée 1873 no 36"


I used photoshop gradients and fills to digitally colour random selected tiles before uploading the abstract image to Deepart to be used as a "style".
I later experimented with using couple of silhouettes of what the garments might have looked like once the patterns had been created... rather than just the simple body shapes, I thought they might give me clearer 3D forms perhaps. The abstract image itself once coloured is almost Kandinsky-esque, again coincidentally very appropriate for the era of dress created from the pattern! Might also be worth considering in the interests of a holistic approach the influence of theosophist thoughts on the geometry of creation... single point continuing to lines etc...











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ecology of Culture

The Initial Pitch (week 25)